I just couldn’t help myself. This building just demanded that I go a little silly with the staging of the size-comparison photo with Lego Chewie. And then it demanded that I make it black and white. So… deal with it. I know that some people like to just do the challenging models. And I do enjoy the challenging models. But sometimes, it’s nice to just sit down and enjoy a simple, easy-breezy, quick build. And that’s what I was hoping for when I started this build. I wasn’t disappointed.
Unfortunately, it’s not exactly an example of my best work. It seems that I didn’t get the folds in the little strips running up the interesting side of the building at the precise location they were supposed to be. Many of the points where it folds back to form a “roof/balcony” seem to be jutting out at weird angles. And there are several gaps showing between the horizontal “layers” of this building. I can’t help but think this would look even better if executed more precisely. It’s a rather intriguing architectural design, almost playful. I rather like it, even though I wouldn’t have been able to tell you what it was before I built it.
As I said earlier, it’s a fairly easy build. Not the easiest of buildings, of course (I’m looking at you, Washington Monument), but not really that hard. And, as I said, it was refreshingly not complex. Been doing a lot of long and detailed builds lately, and I needed a break.
Being easy, though, does not mean that it’s not easy to make mistakes by being lazy. So… don’t be me. Don’t be lazy and just jump into folding the little strips that you start out forming at the very beginning. Make sure you know whether to start with a zig or a zag. Cause I started with the wrong one and only realized after making several folds, so I had to go back and reverse those I had done. And if you know anything about making mistakes while building these models, you probably know that reversing folds is a good way to break parts. Luck for me, I took it real easy, and real slow, and didn’t break anything.
Other than that slip up, I don’t think I really made any other mistakes. The only really frustrating part of the build i attaching the little side-building. I don’t know what I did wrong, but it doesn’t seem to want to stand up straight, and tries to lean outwards. It was really uncooperative when it came to aligning and securing all the tabs.
But again, this was, as intended, an easy and quick build, clocking in at a mere 1.25 hours (roughly). And if by any chance you want to see how I executed this model as poorly as I did, you can watch my build video below: